Hommus Filled Roasted Mushrooms (makes 2 serves)
Prep Time – 10 minutes, total cook time – 20 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps, divided
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 30g or 1 large handful chopped baby spinach
- 1 small purple shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 30g crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (optional – can be replaced with a 1T nutritional yeast for similar umami/cheesiness)
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumb
- 3 Tablespoons SSS Foods Original Hommus
- Preheat oven to 200° C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Arrange 2 mushroom caps, gill-side down, on a prepared baking sheet and brush each cap with 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil. Roast mushroom caps until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Reserve any cooking liquids that release from the mushrooms.
- While mushroom caps are baking, finely chop the reserved mushroom cap.
- In a dry frying pan, toast 1/3 cup walnuts. Keep tossing for a few minutes in the pan until golden in colour. Remove from pan and when cool chop finely.
- Next, return pan to heat and add 1 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in chopped mushroom and cook about 4 minutes or until it releases most of it’s liquid. Stir in garlic and chopped baby spinach and any cooking liquid from roasted mushrooms, stir about 1 minute or until fragrant and spinach has wilted.
- Stir in 3 Tablespoons, or half a tub of SSS Foods Hommus and walnuts until heated through.
- Flip the roasted mushroom caps gill side up, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Divide cooked mushroom and hommus filling among roasted mushroom caps. Press down on the filling with the back of a spoon to flatten. Sprinkle with panko and crumbled gorgonzola cheese or nutritional yeast if using. Bake 5 minutes or until panko is golden.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Here we have served it with a small side salad or baby spinach, gorgonzola and walnuts with a balsamic glaze.