Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Hommus (makes 6 serves)
Prep Time – 10 minutes, total cook time – 50 minutes.
The ideal creamy soup on a cold winter’s evening – this Vegan Pumpkin Soup uses Hommus for flavour and to thicken the soup. If you didn’t know you would think it was full of cream and parmesan thanks to the savoury kick that the SSS Foods Spicy hommus brings to the dish.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion - quartered
- 4 cloves garlic skin on
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 1 whole butternut pumpkin – diced and skin removed
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 gram tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x tub SSS Foods Hommus – Coriander, Cumin and Mild Chilli Flavour
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C /180°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place pumpkin, onion and garlic in a bowl. Add oil and spices and toss to coat the vegetables in the mix. Arrange pumpkin mixture, in a single layer, on prepared tray. Bake for 40 minutes or until pumpkin is golden and tender.
- Squeeze garlic cloves from skin, discard skin, and put garlic back on tray with pumpkin.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add pumpkin, onion and garlic, and all of the chickpeas. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in ¾ of the tub of SSS Foods Hommus (reserving ¼ for decoration).
- Turn off soup, and then blend soup using a hand blender – or if using a standing blender do carefully in batches as the soup will be very hot.
- Return to saucepan, add pepper and salt for seasoning.
- Serve with a dollop of Hommus and fresh parsley.
You could make the same soup with carrots, sweet potato, or a mixture with the pumpkin.
You could also roast leeks instead of onion if you have them.
This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or can be frozen for 2 months.